Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Insecure Writers' Group

Because July the 4th falls on a Wednesday, those of us who celebrate it are blogging for Insecure Writers' Group today.

If you're new to this, click on my title for the blog above, and it will take you to Alex Cavanaugh's page with all the info! In a nutshell, we blog the first Wednesday of every month about our insecurities involving writing, publishing and everything in between.

This month, I struggle with my WIP. I start out strong. Great writing, descriptions, dialogue and then comes that lovely flop. It's not so much a sagging middle as it is just losing my UMPH. This happens with every one I work on, but this one's a little harder. I haven't blogged all that much in the last month because I lost my mom on June 6th and it pretty much crushed me, putting a damper on my writing. I'm sure this has a lot of bearing on it.

So, I find myself wanting to go back and attempt to edit before I get to the end of the first rough draft and I have to scold myself. I think I have at the most two chapters left to write, but it hard when I have that little voice inside my saying, 'You gotta go back and fix that mess.' But I'm chugging through. I'm surviving the best I know how. I'm just worried that I can't get that middle up to snuff. And it's a tedious little worry because when edit time comes, I usually find a way to fix it. Just in the meantime, it's driving me nuts :)

Wishing everyone a safe and happy 4th of July! Our plans are to kick back, BBQ poolside, and enjoying and little R & R with our kids and grandbabies. What's yours?


AVAILABLE NOW @ Soul Mate Publishing: The Swan Cove Murders AVAILABLE NOW @ Soul Mate Publishing: Secrets of Jenkins Bridge

15 comments:

  1. So sorry about your mother. I'm sure that makes writing a struggle. Just get to the end. Fix mess later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mom. Take time that you need, maybe write her a letter get the words out. It takes time to grief... Cut yourself some slack and write whatever comes to you. Later, you can edit...just get it out of you and on the page~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of writing her a letter. That's a great idea Ella. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about your Mom. That is so hard to get a grip on. Take your time to grieve. Your 4th sounds wonderful. Greg and I don't have family close this year so we are going to a festival downtown. Should be lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love festivals. Not a good one close by otherwise I'd be there. Have a great time.

      Delete
  4. Hello Donna. I don't know why I haven't met you before but oh well. I decided to scroll through the IWSG list for bloggers I've never visited.
    I've followed you and will be back.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the follow. That's my plan too. I have a good amount I still haven't visited.

      Delete
  5. I believe it's a blessing Karen. To know we aren't alone is soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am truly sorry about your mother. It only makes sense that you would take some time off from blogging and writing. I wish you and your family all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about your mom, it's never easy even though we know it's the circle of life.

    As to the WIP, keep on slogging even if it's slow. Like you said, you can edit it all at the end. I'm having the same issue with my first novel. In order to find critique partners I had to send out my first two chapters for critique. Ended up with some great advice but I had to clean it up a bit, add another whole chapter and several more scenes. But I promise from this point on, I'll be slogging right along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to know know I'm not alone on the slogging along Donna. I did manage 764 words into this last chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. My sincere sympathies. I'm also sorry to hear about "sagging middle" problems. I find outlining keeps me out of that quagmire. Good luck with your WIP! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment Lexa and for stopping by. I may try out and outline next time around.

    ReplyDelete