Thursday, October 20, 2011

Dawn Ireland Has Come To Visit!!

I have Dawn Ireland in the house visiting and chatting about herself and her new debut, Love’s Guardian.

Welcome Dawn. Thanks for joining me today. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I grew up in Iowa in a small town my father said had a population of 15,000 – 10,000 of which were cows. It was a great place to play and dream. Of course, I had the normal dreams. One day I’d grow up, marry a prince and move into the castle down the street. Even at that young age, I was attracted to the elegance of a bygone era. I guess that’s why I write historical – I get to “play” in that world for a time.

What is the most romantic thing your significant other or anyone has done for you?
He buys me flowers for no reason at all.

That certainly qualifies in my book!

Do you ever write in your PJ’s?
Of course. Doesn’t everyone?

What are your pet peeves?
Rudeness. I’m not sure why people can’t be civil to one another.

Cats or dogs?
Either. I love animals because they make me laugh and don’t have any major “expectations.” Right now we have cats, but we’ve had dogs as well. I am constantly amazed by how different one cat can be from another – just like people.

White wine or red?
White, sweet, with a strong grape taste. (I know, you wine experts out there are gasping, and the doctors are saying the red is better for me.)

Coffee or tea?
Strong Earl Grey tea with cream and sugar.

Vanilla or chocolate ice cream?
It depends on my mood, and what I’m eating with the ice cream. I can tell you I love the smell of Vanilla, and I’ve been known to dab a bit behind my ear when I’m baking.

What are 4 things you never leave home without?
Purse, Keys, Cell Phone, Pen/Paper

Laptop or desktop for writing?
Desktop

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
I have to work my writing in around my hectic schedule. That said, I’m always thinking about stories and what I would do with my characters, so by the time I sit down to write, I’m prepared.

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?
Hugh Jackman – he strikes me as resourceful, as well as talented and attractive. Ken Jennings – the multiple winner on Jeopardy, because I suspect he could figure anything out, Dr. Oz – because I’m hoping he could keep us well

An actor you have a crush on?
Mmmm. Hugh Jackman? Pierce Brosnan? Dillon McDermot? Daniel Day Lewis? It depends on the character they are playing. Come on now, who could resist the wounded vulnerability of Hugh as Wolverine, or Daniel in The Last of the Mohicans?

I vote for Pierce Brosnan!!

What is a movie or TV show that you watched recently and really enjoyed?
Movie: The Wedding Date because the interaction between the hero and heroine made me smile. As for TV, hands down it’s Castle, for the same reason. I love well written characters, and shows that have a lot of sexual tension and witty dialogue.

What made you decide to be an author?
Characters. It’s fun to create characters and drop them into situations that test their beliefs. Through story I think we all learn something about ourselves.

How did you choose the genre you write in?
I’m a “Disney” kind of girl, so of course I’d write “Happily Ever After.”

Are you a panster or a plotter and why?
Usually my books start with characters I want to write about. I create their conflict and see where the story takes me. Generally I have a vague idea about how it will end, but most of it’s worked out in my head as I go along. It stays fresh for me this way. It’s funny, I guess I’m reading the story as I’m creating.

Is there a particular author who may have influenced you?
Jude Deveraux’s early books. Her characters are fun.

Agreed

What is your all time favorite book?
Jude’s “A Knight in Shining Armor” The story is a time travel that has stayed with me over the years. I love the opening scene – talk about a vulnerable heroine.

What is your favorite sentence or quote in your new release?
Well, my favorite is the very last line, but I won’t ruin it for you.

How much trouble did your characters give you while writing your new release? Which one?
(I think you have that wrong – I give them trouble.) Actually, this book was supposed to be a “Love at First Hate,” which means that Alex was supposed to be upset with Declan until the resolution at the end. Imagine my consternation when half-way through the book Alex decided she loved him!

Where do you get your ideas from?
People. I love to watch them and play the “what if” game.

How did you choose your title?
As my story is wrapped around a “guardian,” it seemed very straight forward to me.

How do you cure writer’s block?
I spend more time “thinking” about what motivates my characters. What do they want, and what stands in their way?

Do you have any advice for an aspiring writer?
What ever you do, remember you are writing to entertain. Readers are taking hours of their lives to read your books, make sure to give them the best emotional story you can craft.

What sacred advice have you been given by another writer?
Start and end every chapter AND scene with something that holds your readers attention and doesn’t let them go.

Where can your readers stalk you?
I’m not hard to find, check out my website www.Dawn-Ireland.com for book signings, plus I’ll be blogging on a regular basis at www.SMPauthors.wordpress.com Or, you can fan me on Facebook.

Tell us about your new release:
Love’s Guardian is the first in a series of 4 books. Each of the books will stand on their own, but some of the characters overlap. I love writing about the late 1700s in England. It was such a fabulous time of intrigue, innovation and infamy. Societies “rules” give my characters something to break. Not that I believe in breaking rules, but really, Alex shouldn’t need to marry if she doesn’t want to. And I think knife throwing improves hand-eye coordination, and can come in quite handy if you need to protect yourself. So, you see, it’s all a matter of perspective. At least, that’s the way Alexandra and I see it.

Sounds like an awesome read. Can’t wait to check out some knife-throwing in good ol’ England! Thank you so much Dawn for coming here today and sharing with us.

You can purchase Love’s Guardian here and don’t forget to go to Soul Mate Publishing to check out all the other great new debuts.














Coming November: The Swan Cove Murders Coming December: Secrets of Jenkins Bridge Launch Party October 12th for Soul Mate Publishing. Check out this Sunday's coming blog to sign up!!

6 comments:

  1. I love the smell of vanilla - and Hugh Jackman - too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn! Love's Guardian sounds very exciting with all that knife-throwing!

    Can't wait to read it!

    Karin Shah
    BLOOD AND KISSES Available now!
    www.soulmatepublishing.com
    http://KarinShah.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn. I know I'll love your books because I love your choice of actors. We must have similar tastes!

    Susan Muller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brava, Dawn, for a fabulous interview. Knife throwing plus hate-turned-love? Sign me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read it! great interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow great interview, agree both cats and dogs as well, so different they can be.

    ReplyDelete